The seasons are changing, and that means exploring new activities with your baby or toddler. Autumn is the perfect time to make memories and form unique traditions with your little one, whether it’s by choosing the perfect pumpkin at a patch, or making it an annual tradition to pick a basket full of apples. Below are a few ideas for some fun fall-themed activities that you’ll enjoy for many years to come.
- Visit a Pumpkin Patch: Even before the days of Instagram families have flocked to the pumpkin patch for a picture perfect photo shoot. Why not pick out some coordinating outfits and grab some cute family photos? Afterwards, pick out a pumpkin or two while your little one crawls, toddles, or runs through a field of pumpkins. In future years you can compare photos and watch how your little one grows.
- Explore Local Fall Festivals: There are plenty of local fall festivals happening throughout the United States, and each one offers plenty of memory-making fun. Wagon rides, pony rides, corn mazes, petting zoos, and fall-themed games are all part of the fun when enjoying a nearby fall festival. Make sure to bring your stroller, like the Contours Bitsy Compact Stroller for tired little ones.
- Try Apple Picking: Nothing smells like fall more than a freshly baked apple pie. Gather the family and take a trip to an apple orchard, where you can pick your favorite variety of apple, and either take home a homemade pie, or make one yourself with the apples you picked. Toddlers will love exploring the apple orchard, picking fresh apples, and tasting the magic of an apple fresh from a tree.
Enjoy a Fall Hike: One of the most exciting (and short-lived) fall activities is seeing a beautiful forest full of changing leaves. Enjoy a peaceful family hike during autumn and get the chance to enjoy the break-taking red, yellow, orange, and brown leaves. Find nearby hiking trails by visiting American Hiking Society, and don’t forget your baby carrier for a smooth hike.
- Gather Autumn Themed Books: Visit your local library and grab an armful of fall-themed books for your littlest reader. Most libraries have seasonal books for every age, so make sure to check out the board book section and hunker down for an afternoon of reading and exploring autumn-themed stories. Bonus points if your library happens to have fall themed crafts and activities planned!
- Get Crafty Together: Fall crafts are a great way to enjoy the season as a family. Whether it’s painting a pumpkin, collecting leaves and making a collage at home, or turning your baby’s handprint into an adorable fall-themed picture. There are plenty of cute fall crafts for babies and toddlers to keep you busy for an afternoon of fun.
- Have a Picnic: Take advantage of a warm fall day, and grab a blanket for an outdoor picnic at a nearby park. Pack your favorite fall treats, like pumpkin muffins, sliced apples, and a butternut squash salad. Savor a day outside with your toddler or infant before the weather turns too cold for an outdoor meal.
Now that you have some ideas, get out there and enjoy some beautiful fall memories with your baby and toddler this year!
By Brianna Bell, contributing writer and mother of three.
Related article: Halloween Babywearing Ideas